8 Healthy Types of Food to Eat During Breast Augmentation Recovery
Just like recovering from any other invasive medical procedure, a nutritious diet is vital for a healthy and safe recovery from breast augmentation. The food you intake in your body will help in aiding your body to gain back the strength that you lost and heal wounds from surgery. If you have been conscious about your meals even before the surgery, it is essential to keep that up now more than ever. However, if you cannot help but indulge yourself with unhealthy options before, it is better to start healthier eating habits right now.
To guide you in planning what you eat, here are some of the essential nutrients that you will need to incorporate in your meals during the recovery period from your breast surgery.
- Breast augmentation surgery can take a toll on your whole body. To regenerate your tissues, stock your fridge and pantry with food rich in protein. High-protein food helps in generating new, healthy tissue and promotes faster healing. Incorporate lean meat, poultry, eggs, and beans to your diet.
- Vitamin C
- During the recovery period, your body will be vulnerable to infection. Vitamin C will help in boosting your immunity, keeping you away from being sick while recovering. Consuming fresh fruits like oranges, grapefruits, and vegetables like peppers decreases the risk of developing infections.
- Vitamin A
- Your breast augmentation surgery includes multiple incisions, depending on the method of operation. The time it takes for these wounds to heal will depend on the state of your health—food containing vitamin A aids your body through wound healing. Carrots, dark leafy greens, sweet potatoes, and tropical fruits are filled with this vitamin.
- You will initially feel weak in the earlier stages of recovery. Carbohydrates help in improving your metabolism and boosting your energy for tissue regeneration. However, make sure it is easy to digest as your intestinal activity might be sensitive right after your surgery. Pasta and brown rice are great options.
If you are still confused as to what specific food you need to consume during recovery, here is a list of food items to aid your body post-surgery.
- You may feel nauseous or light-headed early into your recovery, so it is vital to stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water while recovering from breast augmentation aids your body’s ability to heal and ease possible swelling. Water also flushes out the remaining anesthesia and excess fluid from your surgery.
- Citrus Fruits
- As mentioned earlier, citrus fruits are packed with Vitamin C, as well as antioxidants. This helps boost the immune system, fighting infection during recovery. Vitamin C also aids in repairing your collagen and soft tissues that might have been affected by the surgery.
- Fresh Vegetables
- Your body is in dire need of nutrients after having breast augmentation. Fresh vegetables are the best option to supply essential minerals, vitamins, and dietary fiber required for a healthy recovery. Green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach, coriander, and lettuce are great to incorporate in your meals. Of course, the apparent preparation for these is in a salad. However, try blending them into a smoothie to get the most out of your veggies.
- If you want a speedy recovery process, intake fiber-rich foods, oats, and whole-wheat grains, it keeps your digestion optimized, reducing the occurrence of issues like constipation. High fiber foods also regulate your stamina while recovering.
- Lean Meats
- Again, protein is needed during recovery to allow tissue regeneration, especially after breast augmentation surgery. Meat products are excellent sources of amino acids that are beneficial to your body. However, make sure to incorporate meats that are lean and fat-free.
- Including a right amount of seafood into your diet can speed up your recovery process. Seafoods are rich with nutrients like Omega 3 and Zinc that helps the body to recover while giving it some needed energy. However, consult with your doctor first as some seafood may affect the healing of your wounds.
- Root Tubers
- Root tubers such as sweet potato, cassava, and arrowroot contain essential nutrients your body needs for recovery. They are packed with vitamin A, carbohydrates, and minerals, improving your immune system and strengthening your metabolism.
- Almonds and Nuts
- Just like root tubers, almonds, and nuts are good sources of vitamin A and essential oils that help with tissue recovery. They also boost the immune system, reducing the risk of infections. Nuts are a healthy snack, which you can also incorporate into your breakfast, baked goods, or even salads.
If there are things you need to incorporate into your diet, there are things you need to exclude in them. Avoid processed foods during recovery—substitute high-fat snacks like chips, crackers, and frozen desserts with healthier options. Tomato products, coffee, and carbonated beverages, and spicy food may also cause irritations during your recovery.
Consult your doctor about your meals after your breast augmentation surgery. For convenience, stock up your fridge and pantry even before your operation. Finally, even if you are eating healthy food, too much may cause harm to your body. So, make sure to practice discipline and monitor the portions of your meals. Be healthy while having the body you’ve always wanted!